Monday, August 17, 2009

Christmas Shopping

I haven't bee a very good blogger lately. My thoughts and hands have been filled with lots of other things that are so not as much fun (no, I'm not talking about my kids). However, this morning I was thinking about Christmas (is it really already time to think about that?!). Every year I have a goal to be done with my shopping by a certain time, and it never happens. But this year I'm determined to meet my goal, and I have a great way to help me do it and I wanted to share it with you.

This is a trick my sister-in-law taught me. Not only does it help you get your shopping done, but it also prevents you from over-spoiling your kids. That's something I actually struggle with. It's so easy to want to give them all the things we know they'd love, but I just have to constantly remind myself that they're better off without everything. I feel like the less they have, the more likely they are to appreciate what they do have. Anyway, here's the trick:
My sister-in-law only gets her kids 5 things:
  1. something from Santa
  2. something they want
  3. something they need
  4. something to wear
  5. something to read
Obviously you don't have to stick with that exactly. You could change it around a little or add something, like "something to watch" or "something to listen to."
This year I am determined to stick to this guideline and not be tempted to get just one extra thing that I know my kids will love. The past five Christmases have taught me that kids don't need much. They're happy with the simplest things. I don't want to ruin that by spoiling them too much.
Good luck being Santa this year. I hope you like this shopping trick. As always, feel free to add your tid-bits of wisdom.

No comments: