Friday, June 5, 2009

Thursday Activity: Playing with Jell-O!

I know it's Friday, but I have a fun activity to share that I've been meaning to blog about but haven't done. I haven't been in a huge blogging mood lately, which is very weird for me. Anyway, here's the fun activity. Enjoy!

The activity is another one from The Toddler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner. It's on page 138, and it's called Jell-O Jumping. Here are the EASY instructions:
  • 4 large packages of Jell-O

  • baby bathtub (or any kind of tub or big bowl)

  • Prepare Jell-O according to package directions. Place it in a bathtub or small basin and let your child stand in it, sit in it, run his fingers through it, or paint with it.
This was so much fun! Clara was a little skeptical at first, but she loved it. She was very girly about how she played with it, while the boys (Noah's best friend also joined in on the fun) dug right in just as boys do. They all had fun smooshing the Jell-O between their fingers, standing in it, eating it (Oh, well. What can ya do?), and I think the boys even threw it at each other. We had the sprinkler on so they could easily clean off, although they all definitely needed a bath. That in itself was fun because the red Jell-O turned the bath water pink.


Some tips:

  • take the Jell-O out of the fridge and let it warm up a little before you let your kids play in it. Ours was quite cold.
  • 4 packages was oodles! If you only have one child, 2 packages will probably be fine.
  • do this on a day when you have nothing to do and don't care about making a mess.

Hope you try it! It was a lot of fun!

Please feel free to share any of your favorite summertime activities. Thanks!

1 comment:

Kelly A. said...

HI. You don't know me but I ran across your blog (I don't even remember how-you know how it goes :))and I love all the ideas that you share! Thank you!! Just a quick question, though, I checked my library for "The Toddler's Busy Book" and it didn't come up in their system at all, nor did any book by that author. I am totally interested in the book, though so do you mind telling me where you got yours? My email address is kellygirl562@gmail.com Thanks a million!