Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Homemade Play Dough

My sister-in-law, Sharlee, in her comment in the last post mentioned making play dough for her son. Isn't play dough the greatest invention for kids? My son sure loves it, especially as of late. His imagination goes wild, and sometimes I spy on him while he's playing and laugh to myself at his make believe. The things he says are so funny, and sometimes his snakes he makes have names. Like, one day he named one after his cousin, Tevya. So cute! I love it when I see him use his imagination, and I think that's when kids learn the most.

Homemade play dough is sooooo much better than store bought. It's super easy to make, hardly costs a thing, makes a lot, and lasts for along time (provided your son puts it away when he's done! I've gotten mad at him enough times now that he's much better about it). So, just in case there are any of you who have never made your own play dough, I'm providing a recipe. It's a really good one (granted, it's the only I've tried).

2 1/2 cups flour
3 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup salt (I discovered the hard way what happens if you forget the salt!)
1 Tablespoon alum or cream of tartar (I have no clue what alum is)
2 cups boiling water
Food coloring

Stir ingredients until mixed. Add food coloring (I add a lot because I like the color to be vibrant) and mix with your hands (It gets pretty hot. You can use gloves or tough it out- your hands get used to it). Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container and it will last a long time.

Happy play dough making and sculpting!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I have only made the home-made version once, but it was great! I totally forgot about it until yesterday when I told Sharlee that all our playdough was dried out (as an excuse to not play with it with the kids). Guess there's no excuse now. I think I'll try it on Monday to help pass the L-O-N-G hours while Ty is away. Sure was fun to see you and so kind of you to come yesterday! I felt bad that I was so negative about home schooling - I'm sure you'd be fabulous, it just makes ME want to throw up thinking about doing it myself. At least when the kids go to public school, there's someone ELSE to blame when they are illiterate. If I home schooled, I would be forever feeling guilt and regret - I just know it. But that is just me, so I'm positive you would be a brilliant success!

Sharlee said...

Homemade play dough: saver of sanity and maker of it too. When Spencer and Josh were little I made play dough every other week, I bet. They really got creative with it. I would get the box of cookie cutters out and let them have a hay day. Forks, butter knives, garlic presses, and pencils are also fun tools.

Little Miracle said...

Thanks for the recipe. Bradley has been wanting me to make play dough for a while now. He has a wonderful primary teacher that has sent him home with play dough twice this year. We are going to have to try it soon.

wright said...

What a fun blog!! I'm excited to read past posts!